Re: Comments to the At-Large Study Committee report

Howdy,

Thank you for (re)merging and the efforts to address the concern
I'd expressed.

The IETF still cannot support this -- the remarks addressed to
size and composition of the ICANN board are outside the scope of the
PSO's mandate.  Furthermore, to get consensus between our 4 SDOs
to issue a statement addressing these delicate issues (whether
as the PSO-outside-of-mandate, or the 4 SDOs acting jointly),
we would need to do much more shared discussion, exploration of
alternatives, etc.  I think the lack of effort to do so since the
last teleconference is a reflection of a mutual sense of not being
close enough to reaching such consensus.

This is a matter of principle, not document editing.

I do fully appreciate your efforts to shape something more substantial
than a reply to the technical issues, but respectfully disagree
that this is the time or the place to do so on this issue.

Leslie.

azucena.hernandez@POP3.TELEFONICA.ES wrote:

> Dear Vlad, dear PSO-PC colleagues,
>
> I have no objections to the reply that you have prepared for Denis Michel.
> Thanks for it.
>
> What we must close now is the "discussion process" on the final comments to
> the ALSC document that the PSO PC is going to send.
>
> I thought that we had fixed today, 15th October, as the deadline to decide
> on the support received by  the "merged version" of the contributions from
> ETSI and from IETF.
>
> After Vlad made the merge, I updated its content trying to solve the
> concerns raised by Leslie as there was, in fact, an inconsistency within
> the text as result of the merge.
>
> It is my understanding that we are all looking at this text produced by
> myself in order to decide whether it can be supported by all of us, part of
> us,......
>
> I enclose the text again in "plain text" after these words in order to help
> closing this outstanding action. We cannot wait until the next
> teleconference because it will be too late.
>
> Text under discussion/decision:
> **********************************************************************************************************************Comments
> to the
> >ALSC Draft Report on ICANN At-Large Membership
> >(with further comments from Azucena and more changes related to
> >Leslie's  concern)
> >
> >PSO Protocol Council has analysed the comprehensive document drafted by
> >the ALSC.
> >
> >Firstly, the PSO-PC wants to notify that no part of the above referenced
> >document has any impact on technical issues neither for the Internet
> >Protocol nor for the operation of the Internet.
> >
> >Some of the content of the ALSC document has an impact on the structure of
> >ICANN and therefore affects the PSO as ICANN Supporting Organization and
> >all the comments contained herein are presented under this view.
> >
> >¨        PSO-PC supports the creation of an At Large Supporting
> >Organization to channel the involvement of At Large in the ICANN structure
> >as it is in line with the approach followed to set up the other existing 3 SOs.
> >¨       PSO-PC advices caution and care in the implementation of the
> >proposed ALSO membership restricted to "those individuals holding a domain
> >name". While the ALSC has clearly examined the technical requirements and
> >potential for abuse in e-mail based ALSO registration, we nevertheless
> >observe that any at large effort, especially one based on direct voting,
> >is going to be subject to considerable problems of authentication and
> >certification (that the same person does not appear multiple times). If
> >the intent is to give the at large effort sufficient voting leverage,
> >efforts at capture are almost inevitable. While the ALSC report concludes
> >that this is a problem for e-mail based voter registration, it is our
> >opinion that existing technical systems are not sufficient for precluding
> [...]

"The best laid plans
    are written in pencil."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle