Alternative Roots Issue

Hello,
Dear Protocol Council Members,

As you know, in accordance with the agreements reached at our last
conference call I should inform ICANN of our agreed position on the
alternative roots issue.  The approved minutes state:

"The secretary will inform ICANN of this opinion immediately after the
meeting of ITU-T Study Group 2. However should the ITU-T Study Group 2 view
not be in line with this opinion the matter will be brought back to the
PSO-PC for further discussion.".

The ITU-T Study Group 2 statement is:

"Study Group 2 has noted the PSO statement and has no objections to it.

However, Study Group 2 notes that there may be other issues in addition to
technical reasons such as administrative and national sovereignty
considerations."

Since Study Group 2 has expressed no opposition to the previously agreed
view,  I will send the following to Mr. S. Lynn and Mr. L.Touton  on Monday,
24 September, unless I hear otherwise from you:

Dear Gentlemen,

Here is the agreed statement of the Protocol Council of 4 September 2001
regarding the alternative roots issue:

"The Internet DNS currently operates using a Single Authoritative Root
Server System. Although, it would be technically possible to devise and
standardize a fully compliant alternative multiple root server system, there
appears no technical reason for changing from the present working system, as
this would require the development of a new set of protocols for use by the
DNS. "
Best regards,
Vladimir