Draft comments from PSO to At Large Discussion Paper

Dear PSO PC colleagues,

You may remember that I volunteered to prepare a draft response to the At
Large Discussion Paper submitted by the chairman of the ALSC for our
consideration and comments.

Attached you can find my "homework". I have inserted my proposed comments in
between the paragraphs of the original At Large document.

I kindly ask you to provide me with your comments before Friday the 31st
August to give me one working day to consolidate them and to have a final
version ready for approval in our next teleconference on Tuesday the 4th
September.

The ALSC will have their next meeting in Montevideo on the 7th September and
our paper will then reach them on time.

Kind regards,
Azucena

<head>
content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Discussion Paper 1 </title>
<!-- header -->
</head>

<!-- body table --></p>

        Discussion Paper #1 </p>
        between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.&quot;
        Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut </p>
        considerable progress towards achieving the objectives
        for which it was formed, including providing coordinated
        advice on technical management of the DNS and IP
        addresses, launching a process for implementing new TLDs,
        and supporting the creation of new regional internet
        registries. </p>
        lacks the perceived legitimacy and accountability to a
        broad public that will enable it to operate effectively
        and flexibly as the Internet scales up and as ICANN's
        policies affect an ever broader and less technically
        oriented Internet community. </p>
        accountability, the ICANN Board created the At-Large
        Membership Study Committee (ALSC) earlier this year to
        conduct a complete review of the At-Large (individual
        Internet user) membership concept and its structure and
        processes, and to &quot;achieve a broad consensus on
        effective means by which the diverse global Internet
        communities and individual stakeholders may participate
        in ICANN's policy development, deliberations, and actions
        Appendix A, &quot;Brief Background&quot;) </p>
        international entity that faces both high expectations
        and operational challenges as one of the world's most
        unusual &quot;Internet start-ups.&quot; </p>
        ICANN and its structure and processes, the ALSC has read
        through the volumes of publicly available discussions and
        material surrounding its history, form and function, and
        its controversy. We also have reviewed numerous emailed
        views and participated in several face-to-face
        discussions (in our &quot;outreach&quot; events and in
        individual meetings), and listened to those of you who
        have shared your thoughts and views on how we might
        address our task and provided feedback on the questions
        we have asked. </p>
        work with other related review efforts, and keep an open
        mind, it is now time for us to begin to formulate and
        share our own thoughts with the goal of encouraging more
        specific feedback. That is the purpose of this Discussion
        Paper and the specific concept papers we will shortly
        post. </p>
        our efforts to achieve a consensus on how the various
        Internet communities and stakeholders should be involved
        in ICANN, our recommendations should not take ICANN's
        current organizational structure as an unalterable
        premise. The ongoing DNSO review[2] and the recent &quot;Country
        Code Supporting Organization Statement,&quot;[3] indicate
        that there are significant concerns within these groups,
        and perhaps among others, that clearly need to be
        addressed. </p>
        regards to the structure of the PSO, it seems to be good
        enough to fulfil its obligations. The addition of some
        other standards bodies is allowed by the existing PSO MoU
        and may happen in the short term.</font></p>
        ICANN structures are working well and which are not, and
        the causes of any current &quot;problems&quot; or &quot;inadequacies&quot;.
        We also welcome your constructive ideas on solutions.
        Clearly any changes to existing ICANN organizational
        structure need to adequately accommodate the role of the
        At-Large and the overall structure of ICANN, and vice
        versa. We recognize that a consensus on a new approach to
        individual participation and representation in ICANN must
        be developed in close coordination with the existing
        ICANN organizations and constituencies, and with
        extensive input from all interested individuals. We hope
        this discussion paper and subsequent discussion will
        foster such collaboration and result in better outcomes. </p>
        the own PSO perspective, our organization is working well
        and individuals can make their inputs in the PSO website
        and attending the PSO General Assemblies. The technical
        scope of the PSO somehow makes useless the access of
        individuals not having a minimum technical background.
        Additionaly and, whilst the 4 PSO member organizations
        have different scope and bylaws, individuals can be part
        of their membership either directly (IETF, W3C), via
        national or international User Associations (ETSI) or via
        national administrations (ITU).</font></p>
        Voice in ICANN </u></p>
        come to the initial position that some form of structured
        involvement of individual Internet users in ICANN policy
        formulation and decision-making is needed, along with
        representation of individual Internet users on ICANN's
        Board. While this may appear obvious to some, we did not
        want to jump to conclusions without considering a full
        range of arguments. </p>
        the PSO perspective, all the protocol standards are made
        by the Internet industry with the idea in mind of serving
        the interest of the final users. </font></p>
        interest&quot; responsibility vested in ICANN, and
        therefore some role for individuals (as well as non-commercial
        interests, etc.) is appropriate. In essence, ICANN needs
        to be accountable not just to those people whose daily
        work concerns ICANN's activities (and who may be
        Supporting Organization members), but also those who are
        affected by its actions but whose daily focus is
        elsewhere. Actions ICANN takes within its seemingly
        narrow technical and administrative mission can affect (and
        generate interest among) the world's individual Internet
        users in a myriad of ways. These users hold a variety of
        values and represent interests that may be personal,
        political or economic. They care about issues such as
        access to domain names in non-Latin characters, the
        potential use of IP addresses and domain names for
        identification or location of individuals and groups, the
        mapping of telephone numbers to Internet addresses,
        competition and choice (or not) in the provision of
        various services provided by independent parties under
        contract to ICANN, domain-name intellectual property
        issues, and the like. </p>
        policy development and decision-making structure has not
        fulfilled expectations of involving and representing
        these various individuals and their interests. </p>
        does not share that concern as we consider that all the
        PSO related issues are fully transparent opened to
        interested individuals as much as the whole standards
        generation processes. </font></p>
        decisions, we found it difficult to follow the documented
        &quot;consensus&quot; decision-making process. In many
        instances, it is unclear how the input into a particular
        &quot;open process&quot; decision was duly considered,
        documented and assimilated. We want to ensure that all
        interested individuals have an opportunity to participate
        fully in &quot;bottom-up ICANN consensus development.&quot;
        And we want to ensure that there is a mechanism that will
        make this possible. There certainly is an opportunity for
        ICANN, potentially through an At-Large membership, to
        organize individuals' energy and experience in a more
        productive manner - making the issues intelligible to a
        broader community and giving individuals a way to turn
        their feedback into tangible influence in an accountable,
        transparent and predictable manner. </p>
        membership in ICANN, our intention is to help create a
        policy and decision-making structure and process within
        ICANN that fosters understanding and accommodation
        between various constituencies, including individual
        Internet users. We are striving to recommend such a
        structure and process to help ensure that ICANN's
        policies truly reflect the needs, interests and rights of
        all its stakeholders - including those who may not like
        its policies but who will ideally feel that at least
        their arguments were understood and fairly considered. </p>
        &quot;consider the proper relationship between an At-Large
        membership and ICANN's three Supporting Organizations,&quot;[1]
        has led us to begin development, in conjunction with the
        affected communities, of recommendations for individual
        Internet user participation in ICANN. </p>
        would welcome a clarification on whether the At-Large
        members would like to directly participate in the PSO or
        are just concerned about getting seats in the ICANN Board.
        If the interest of the At Large is to directly
        participate in the PSO or get any kind of recognition as
        &quot;PSO members&quot; this would imply a change on the
        PSO MoU which would raise important problems. </font></p>
        how the existing ICANN policy development and decision-making
        structure has (or has not) fulfilled expectations of
        involving and representing all relevant stakeholders. We
        also look forward to receiving any ideas that might
        improve the ICANN process and structure and individuals'
        role within it. To foster constructive discussion, and to
        focus on concrete possibilities - solutions rather than
        opinions and goals - we are developing concept papers for
        your review. [See Appendix B, &quot;Proposed Schedule of
        ALSC Activities&quot;] </p>
        on what would constitute a successful structure and
        process for individual Internet user participation. Thus
        far, our view is that a successful structure and process
        should: </p>
        <ul>
            <li>Fulfill ICANN's mission of acting in the public's
                interest in its administration of the Internet's
                technical name and numbering infrastructure, and
                balance the commercial and institutional
                interests that are already well represented
                within the organization. </li>
            <li>Ensure that ICANN operates in a manner that is
                stable, accountable, transparent, and predictable.
            </li>
            <li>Increase the likelihood of voluntary compliance
                by fulfilling ICANN's goal of having its
                decisions supported by a broad and documented
                consensus among affected parties. </li>
            <li>Engender knowledge within, and support from,
                interested communities by giving them a
                demonstrable way of participating and affecting
                policy. </li>
            <li>Inject the necessary public interest perspectives
                into coordination of relevant ICANN issues. This
                includes bringing non-technical considerations to
                bear on technical decisions, as well as providing
                ICANN with advance warning of issues that have
                the potential of being critical or controversial
                in the &quot;non-technical&quot; world. </li>
            <li>Encourage both the &quot;non-technical&quot; and
                &quot;technical&quot; communities to explain
                their concerns and the impact of their work more
                effectively to the broader public. </li>
        </ul>
        ultimately achieved, it is reasonable to expect that
        ICANN's Board will continue to be the focal point for
        critical decisions. Therefore, Board representation of
        individual Internet users also must be addressed, and we
        are eager to hear your views on how this might be
        achieved. </p>
        would welcome a clarification on whether or not the At-Large
        members are just interested on getting elected
        individuals directly into the ICANN Board. Considering
        that many of the issues are discussed and defined in each
        of the Supporting Organizations, an alternative model
        could be for the At-Large to be proactive in one or all
        of the SOs and from there to influence ICANN and the
        ICANN Board. </font></p>
        membership is driven by several goals, including the need
        to: </p>
        <ul>
            <li>Fulfill ICANN's commitment to greater
                accountability of the Board of Directors to the
                Internet community. </li>
            <li>Ensure &quot;users' voices&quot; are represented
                in ICANN's decisions. </li>
            <li>Represent the diverse interests of those affected
                by ICANN decisions. </li>
            <li>Select high-quality Board members capable of
                understanding and fulfilling ICANN's
                responsibilities. </li>
            <li>Avoid &quot;capture&quot; of the Board through
                disproportionate and opaque representation of any
                one organization or interest group or community. </li>
            <li>Ensure the Board Members work together
                effectively to fulfill its responsibilities. </li>
        </ul>
        your input is especially needed on both factual questions
        and normative issues that, for us, remain unresolved,
        including (but not limited to): </p>
        there are the answers from the PSO:</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>Within each Supporting Organization, are the
                existing processes and structures meeting the
                expectations of their participants? What aspects
                of the process are working well? How can existing
                processes be improved? Are all stakeholders/communities
                adequately represented? </li>
        </ul>
            4 member organizations of the PSO are satisfied with
            the processes and structures of the PSO. A 5th
            standards body is approaching the PSO to become a new
            member. The PSO MoU does not imposse any restrictions
            to the number of standards organizations within the
            PSO but imposses certain criteria to become PSO
            member (to be an international open body, to be
            involved on the production of IP protocol standards,
            to have open processes ,...). </font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>In order to gauge the level of participation and
                activity in ICANN's existing communities, as
                represented by their mailing lists, what are the
                basic statistics of these lists (e.g. number of
                participants, demographics, frequency of posting
                etc.)? </li>
        </ul>
            PSO has two exploder lists: one just for the members
            of the PSO Council which holds a good activity with
            some 30 messages per week. Those messages are normaly
            posted after internal consultation from the council
            repreentative within its own organization (IETF, ETSI,
            ITU, W3C). As per the exploder list open to public
            input, there is nearly no activity there except the
            announcements made by the PSO Secretariat.</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>Similarly, how many participants attend face-to-face
                meetings/teleconferences? How often are such
                meetings held? </li>
        </ul>
            PSO holds a public meeting per year: the General
            Assembly. The average attendance is 60 people. The
            PSO Council (8 members) meets by teleconference every
            month or 2 months.</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>How are the results of the email discussions,
                teleconferences, and face-to-face meetings
                summarized, documented and forwarded for
                consideration by other ICANN participants? What
                working languages are used? </li>
        </ul>
            reports of all the meetings and teleconferences of
            PSO are available in the ICANN web site. They are
            only available in English which is the working
            language of PSO and all its members. </font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>What conflict-of-interest provisions exist within
                each of the existing Supporting Organizations?</li>
        </ul>
            to now, the PSO has not suffered any conflict of
            interests.</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>What mechanisms exist to demonstrate that due
                weight is given to input provided to each of the
                Supporting Organizations? What is the Supporting
                Organizations' operational definition of &quot;consensus&quot;?
                If consensus is/is not possible, are the points
                of agreement and disagreement, rationale, etc.
                summarized and documented? What/who determines if
                consensus has been reached?</li>
        </ul>
            the PSO, &quot;consensus&quot; is understood as
            &quot;lack of substained objection&quot;. As for the
            issues that the PSO has dealt with since it was
            created, consensus has always been achieved.</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>How much can be expected to be achieved from
                purely voluntary ICANN participation? What might
                the role of a professional secretariat/support
                staff for the Supporting Organizations play in
                facilitating participation and deliberation? How
                might such staff be funded? </li>
        </ul>
            PSO is fully supported by its own Secretariat which
            is provided and fully funded by one of the 4 members
            organizations in a rotating manner during 1 year.
            This model is working extremely well.</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>Who is staff accountable to (and who should staff
                be accountable to)? What is the nature of the
                relationship between ICANN staff and the existing
                Supporting Organizations? What protocol governs
                their interactions and priorities?.</li>
        </ul>
            ICANN staff interacts with the PSO via the PSO
            Secretariat or directly by e-mail with the PSO
            Council members and the PSO public exploder. The
            bilateral relationship needs improvement and measures
            have been taken to improve it. The PSO does not take
            any resource from the ICANN staff.</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>Other than reading through relevant mailing list
                archives, what other resources exist that make
                understanding the issues being discussed in ICANN
                more accessible? In which languages are such
                materials produced?</li>
        </ul>
            PSO website is very well organised with all the
            information easily found. English is the only
            language.</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>How should existing and potential constituencies
                be organized into Supporting Organizations or
                other entities such as interest groups, political
                parties, etc. </li>
        </ul>
            that members of the PSO should be international
            standards organizations (both &quot;de facto&quot;
            and &quot;de iure&quot;), it is not easy to make
            political parties or groups of other nature members
            of the PSO. Nevertheless, the 4 member organizations
            have open means to seek participation of a broad
            audience of technical experts and this is the right
            way to make useful inputs to the PSO.</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>How can individuals be encouraged to self-organize
                without ICANN's direct involvement? </li>
        </ul>
            individuals using certain services organise
            themselves by creating &quot;User Associations&quot;
            of national or international scope. At this moment of
            time &quot;Internet Users Associations&quot; exist in
            nearly all countries and this could be the proper
            path to follow to get a well organised At Large
            community able to influence the ICANN Supporting
            Organizations.</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>What would be each entity's role, authority, and
                funding source? </li>
        </ul>
            PSO is quite satisfied with its present role,
            authority and funding source (its own member
            organizations) but respects any other model that may
            be followed by the other SOs and the At-Large .</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>What (if any) specific consensus development
                processes should be recommended? </li>
        </ul>
            recommendatins from the PSO.</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>Should Directors selected by individual Internet
                users be a majority or minority of the Board
                members? How should Board seats be allocated?
                Should the current balance of Directors (i.e. 9
                from the SOs and 9 from At-Large) be kept? </li>
        </ul>
            existing Supporting Organizations cover the whole
            scope of ICANN and they all are organizations with
            open and transparent methods of work. The individuals
            having an interest and at least a basic knowledge of
            the ICANN role, should express their views by
            organised representation in the Supporting
            Organizations. Once this target is achieved, then the
            ICANN Board should just reflect the own structure of
            ICANN with members elected by each of the Supporting
            Organizations. On the meantime and, while the At
            Large can ensure proper participationin the SOs, a
            compromise could be found with 20% of the Board
            memebrs to be elected by nationaly or internationally
            recognised Internet Users Associations and the other
            80% elected by the SOs. </font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>Should elections of Directors be direct or
                indirect (or a combination)? How should
                candidates be nominated? What voting procedures
                should be used? Who should have the ability to
                vote? </li>
        </ul>
            for the nomination, the PSO is in favour of keeping
            the present rules with the candidates being nominated
            by the members of the SOs and the User Associations
            for the At Large seats (no sel-nomination allowed).
            As for the election, we consider that the pure direct
            voting is very much time and resouces consuming and
            with unclear democratic and truly representative
            outputs. The PSO is in favour of consensus based
            decisions within each SO acccording to open and clear
            rules for analysis of the candidates. Similar
            exercesie but within User Associations should be
            conducted to fill up the &quot;At Large Board seats&quot;
            (while existing as such).</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>If direct elections are recommended, should they
                be held among particular groupings of Internet
                users, or should they be geographic or issue-based
                (including issue or agenda-driven &quot;parties&quot;)?
            </li>
        </ul>
            PSO favours indirect elections via Internet Users
            Associations. Geopraphic parameters should be of
            secondary importance but nevertheless taken into
            account when building consensus.</font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>Should some demonstration of commitment be
                required for participation in elections (such as
                requirements based on knowledge, participation,
                or money)? </li>
        </ul>
            PSO understands that the Users Associations model
            ensures a good level of commitment, knowledge and
            seriousness. </font></p>
        <ul>
            <li>How can individual users be informed about ICANN?
                How can candidates for election and interest
                groups in any form communicate with ICANN's
                &quot;At-Large members&quot;? Relevant issues
                include privacy, language, Net access (use of Web
                vs. e-mail) and others.</li>
        </ul>
            PSO encourages the use in ICANN of all the electronic
            tools plus teleconference and remote participation
            tools avilable in the market in order to ease the
            knowledge and participation of final users.</font></p>
        </a></p>
        want to ensure that we adequately address the role of an
        At-Large membership within the ICANN structure <i>as a
        whole </i>. We are optimistic that mechanisms with
        individual involvement can be found that will enable
        ICANN to develop balanced and well-considered policies
        for Internet domain names, IP address numbers, protocol
        parameter and port numbers, with the consent of those who
        have the responsibility to implement them for the benefit
        of the world's Internet community. </p>
        href="mailto:comments@atlargestudy.org">comments@atlargestudy.org
        </a>or send them to our on-line forum at <a
        href="http://www.atlargestudy.org/forum.shtml">http://www.atlargestudy.org/forum.shtml
        </a>. </p>
        Chuck Costello (Vice Chair), Pierre Dandjinou, Esther
        Dyson, Olivier Iteanu, Ching-Yi Liu, Thomas Niles, Oscar
        Robles, and Pindar Wong (Vice Chair). Denise Michel,
        Executive Director. </p>
</center></div>

Azucena Hernandez
Telefonica