From: Brian Moore [mailto:brian@bwmc.demon.co.uk]
Sent: 12 February 2001 20:57
To: Livia Rosu Lunguran
Cc: PSO-PC@LIST.ETSI.FR
Subject: PSO GA 2001 AND MINUTES

Livia,
The arrangements with TIPHON look good to me (I can be there on the 11th
of July). Concerning the agenda (and the minutes) the suggestion made
during our last teleconference was to repeat some of the papers from the
opening session of the ITU-T IP Networking and Multimedia Workshop that
is being held in Geneva in April. There will be presentations from the
PSO members (Fabio, Gerry, Scott and W3C) and we agreed that these could
form a part of the agenda at the GA. This I guess is what was behind the
ITU-T IP item on the first version of your agenda but it will not just
be Fabio.
So agenda items 3 and 4 could be rolled into one and called something
like 'Introduction and activities of the PSO signatories'.
On another issue did we agree to invite the new ICANN CEO to attend and
give us his thoughts on the future of ICANN? If not should we?
Brian.

In message <7B7F473688DBD211B56C00805F85906C0230AD4E@EMAIL2>, Livia Rosu
Lunguran <Livia.Rosu@ETSI.FR> writes

--
B W Moore
Lucent Technologies

            ICANN Protocol Standards Organization (PSO)
                February 01, 2001 Teleconference

Reported by: Livia Rosu, PSO Secretary

PARTICIPANTS
---------
  Steve Bellovin / IETF Representative
  Fabio Bigi / ITU Representative
  Leslie Daigle / IETF Representative
  Gerry Lawrence / ETSI Representative
  Brian Moore / ITU Representative

APOLOGIES
---------
  Bridget Cosgrave / ETSI Representative
  Philipp Hoschka / W3C Representative
  Daniel Weitzner / W3C Representative

Minutes
-------

 1. The PSO Council members have analyzed the impact of the newly selected
    Top-Level Domains (.aero, .biz, .coop, .info, .museum, .name and .pro).
    The issue of increasing traffic going to roots has been considered as paramount.
    It has been agreed that there are no other critical protocol-based matters
    related to the new TLDs.

    As ICANN is still in the process of finalizing its recommendations for the
    practical implementation of the new TLDs, the PSO-PC has identified a need to
    reconsider again this agenda item at a later stage.

 2. The voting mechanism for 2001 nomination to the ICANN Board has been discussed.
    Prior to October 1, 2001, the Protocol Supporting Organization shall select its
    representative for the two-year term to the ICANN Board, according to the
    PSO MoU and procedures specified by the Article VI-C of the ICANN Bylaws
    (as amended July 16, 2000).

 3. The issue of the PSO nomination to the Nominating Committee for the Independent
    Review Committee has been analyzed. As agreed time ago, ETSI and ITU shall have
    a combined unique choice, while IETF and W3C shall have theirs. ETSI and ITU have
    already chosen the Director of the ITU-TSB Houlin Zhao.

    Leslie and Steve shall co-ordinate with Philipp and Daniel to come up shortly
    with a name for the IETF/W3C nomination to IRC, and shall inform the Council on
    their decission.

4.  The PSO-PC has thoughtfully discussed the organization of the PSO General Assembly
    2001, to be hosted by ETSI. According to the PSO MoU, "each annual General Assembly
    will be hosted by a signing SDO in conjunction with one of its major meetings".
    It has been decided to host the PSO GA 2001 in ETSI, during the ETSI Project (EP)
    TIPHON Meeting #23, which is to be held the whole week of 9-13 July 2001. It has
    also been highlighted the importance of inviting the management of ETSI Technical
    Committee SPAN to attend the PSO GA and share their experience.

    In its quality of Chairman of the ETSI Operational Co-ordination Group (OCG),
    Gerry Lawrence explained that EP TIPHON (Telecommunications and Internet Protocol
    Harmonization over Networks) and TC SPAN (Services and Protocol for Advanced
    Networks) work closely together and are interested in the work of the PSO. In this
    light, it will prove to be very beneficial to have TIPHON and SPAN participants
    attending the PSO GA.

    Livia has reported some progress in organizing related administrative details and
    communicated the availability of 2 Vice-Chairmen of TC SPAN to come and join the
    PSO GA attendees.

    It has been decided that Livia shall continue to make all the necessary arrangements
    for the good organization of the PSO GA and shall co-ordinate with the EP TIPHON
    Chairman & PSO ICANN Director Helmut Schink the accommodation of the PSO GA
    by one of the EP TIPHON sessions, for 2-3 hours. Livia shall report back to the PSO
    Council on the progress made as soon as possible.

    The issue of content and speakers has been analyzed as well. It has been underlined
    that each organization signatory of the PSO MoU shall give short presentations on
    their activities with a focus on IP related matters.

    Gerry has underlined that ITU-T is organizing a workshop on "IP Networking and
    MEDIACOM-2004" (http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/com13/circ/01-04/013.html) on
    24-27 April 20001 in Geneva,convened at the request of ITU-T Study Groups 13
    (Multi-protocol and IP-based networks and their internetworking) and 16 (Multimedia
    services, systems and terminals). There will be presentations from the PSO member
    organizations (ITU-by Fabio, ETSI-by Gerry, IETF-by Scott and W3C-to be determined).
    The PSO Council members have agreed that these presentations could form a part of the
    agenda at the PSO GA 2001 and therefore the ITU-T workshop will provide valuable
    material to import into PSO GA on topics related to IP networking.

    The ICANN staff shall be invited to offer an updated overview on ICANN structure
    and development. It is also hoped that at least a few ICANN Board members will be
    available to attend the PSO GA. It is of a particular importance that the three PSO
    ICANN Directors (Helmut Schink, Vint Cerf and Philip Davidson) will share their
    experience with the Internet community present at the GA.

    Livia shall draft the agenda and the invitation for the PSO GA, as soon as she can fix
    the date together with EP TIPHON management. Further suggestions on content and speakers
    for the GA were invited by e-mail.

                Protocol Supporting Organization

                   General Assembly 2001 Agenda

1. Opening                                      (?)

2. Introduction and activities of the
   PSO signatories

                2.1  ITU                        Fabio Bigi, ITU representative

                2.2  IETF                       Steve Bellovin, IETF representative

                2.3  W3C                        (?), W3C representative

                2.4  ETSI                       Gerry Lawrence, ETSI representative

3. Status Report on PSO Protocol Council        (?)
   activities for 2000-2001 period
   and projections for the next year
   (including status of PSO selection
   of ICANN Board member)

4. Invited presentations

                4.1  Update on ICANN structure  (presentation by ICANN staff)
                     and development

                4.2  Future of ICANN            (presentation by ICANN CEO)

5. Open discussion                              (all)