DEADLOCK BREAKING MECHANISM

Dear all,
Following last Thursdays teleconference Gerry and I have put together
the following deadlock breaking mechanism. It is based on the UK
national lottery draw as a way of deriving a series of random numbers
with which to allocate a weighted vote in the way I proposed earlier.
(As however the draw only provides seven numbers a little extra
ingenuity is required).
We suggest that, if after three votes during our teleconference next
Friday we are still deadlocked, we do the following.
 - Gerry and I will record the UK national lottery draw next Wednesday
(13th). This will give us, in the sequence the balls are drawn, seven
random numbers.
 - If on Friday we cannot reach a conclusion we will schedule a short
teleconference for early the following week.
 - Gerry and I will then record the UK national lotter draw on Saturday
(16th).
 - A weighting will then be allocated in the following way. The seven
numbers from Saturdays draw plus a number from Wednedsdays draw (this
will be the value of the ball (in Wednesdays draw) in the position of
the highest ball on Saturdays draw) will be used to allocate weightings
from 10 to 1. The person with the highest number gets a weighting of 10,
the next highest 8 etc.
 -  We will allocate weightings (balls) in the sequence we agreed
earlier viz.
ETSI
IETF
ITU
W3C
W3C
ITU
IETF
ETSI

The following is an example:

                      e.g.
                      ball number     gets weighting
ETSI   1st ball         3               2
IETF   2nd ball         28              6
ITU    3rd ball         49              10
W3C    4th ball         17              4
W3C    5th ball         2               1
ITU    6th ball         34              8
IETF   7th ball         11              3
ETSI   8th ball*        26              5

* the ball in Wednesdays draw in the position of the highest ball in
Saturdays draw (this will ensure that ETSI will not know the value of
its second weighting till Saturday)

 - The following week we then have a weighted vote which will give a
clear winner. This may sound complicated but it is random and we will
not know the weightings till after our discussions on Friday. (If we
knew beforehand it could turn the discussions into a meaningless
exercise).

 - It could be argued that as once we know the weightings the outcome is
immediately obvious and we therefore can do without the extra
teleconference. I would think however it would be best for us to actally
cast our final weighted vote in order to avoid the impression that we
have just 'tossed a coin'.

Brian.
--
B W Moore