Re: What is the PICS labels for a site targeting to people over 16 years old?

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 11:50:10 +0100
To: Eduardo Lima Martinez <eduardolima@codecweb.com>
Cc: pics-interest@w3.org, "Ralph R. Swick" <swick@w3.org>, Roessler Thomas <tlr@w3.org>, Phil Archer <phil@philarcher.org>
On 9 February 2011 09:20, Eduardo Lima Martinez
<eduardolima@codecweb.com> wrote:
> Hello!
> I'm building a website for people over 16 years of age. This not is a
> porn site, but shows raw images ("curcus pretty girls doing ugly
> things") not suitable for kids...
> http://www.circusdivas.com/
> What are the correct PICS labels for this site?. I do not read/write
> correctly the english language.
> I do not understand the terms of HTTP headers "Protocol: {...}" and
> "PICS-Label: (...)"
> Can you guide me? Can you show me a sample site that has the correct
> PICS labels?
> Thank you very much !!!

In 2011 PICS is largely obsolete technology.

Most of the core functionality of PICS has been rebuilt around RDF
(see http://www.w3.org/RDF/ ) ...

1. Roughly PICS label schemes are now RDF Schemas (or more powerfully,
OWL Ontologies)
2. PICS Label Bureaus are replaced by Web services that speak W3C's
SPARQL language for querying RDF - see
3. PICS' ability to make labels for all pages sharing a common URL
pattern is addressed by POWDER - see

However, these RDF technologies are not (yet?) widely used for PICS
original use case.

In the PICS world, RSACi ( see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreational_Software_Advisory_Council )
became ICRA ( see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Content_Rating_Association ) who
became part of FOSI (http://www.fosi.org/icra/) and who no longer have
any activities in this technology area, or support for their older
work. So there is no direct modern successor to the RSACi/ICRA PICS
work to recommend to you.

That said, perhaps eg. Internet Explorer still supports the old 1990s
work. Perhaps others can comment further?

Hope this helps,