Re: HTTP/3 Prioritization Proposal

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 9:26 PM Ian Swett <ianswett@google.com> wrote:

> This thread got far ahead of me, but I wanted to ask for more motivation
> behind the tree structure(links welcome).  'Google' may have argued for it,
> but that doesn't mean it was ever used as envisioned.  Is anyone else
> taking advantage of it?

For convenience, here is a potted history I recently put together, it
doesn't answer all questions:

* HTTP/2 up to draft 10 had a scheme similar to SPDY/3.1
* Proposal for stream dependencies in SPDY/4 - Oct 2012 [1]
* "http/2 prioritization/fairness bug with proxies" [2] - mailig list
thread Feb 2013
* "Restarting the discussion on HTTP/2 stream priorities" [3] - mailing
list thread Oct 2013 alluding to Seattle interim discussion.
* HTTP/2 Stream Dependencies I-D - Jan 2014 [4]
* Mailing list thread for comments on the I-D [5]
* Introduction of dependencies to HTTP/2 draft 11 diff, Feb 2014 [6]
* Diff of changes to PRIORITY frame between draft 11 and RFC 7540 [7]

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pNj2op5Y4r1AdnsG8bapS79b11iWDCStjCNHo3AWD0g/edit#heading=h.fu9pi3zfp7k5
[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2013JanMar/0554.html
[3] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2013OctDec/0366.html