Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7540 (5249)

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 12:43:53PM +1100, Martin Thomson wrote:
> The observation is correct.  However, I'm not sure that this is the
> solution I would choose.  I'm not sure, but I think that an empty
> header field would cause problems.

Some intermediaries risk to drop it, considering that empty is equivalent
to absent.

> Maybe the right conclusion to draw
> here is that you have to include at least one setting if you use this
> header field.

I just tried to see if "====" would be possible as an encoding for an
empty string, but at least the base64 utility I have here considers
that it's an invalid input, so I suspect that it's not widely accepted
to have an end tag at the beginning of a base64 string. Thus most
likely as you suggest, something needs to be sent. Maybe we should
recommend to pass one of the default settings in this case.

Willy