Re: DRAFT: more details for HTTPtre

From: Ilari Liusvaara <ilariliusvaara@welho.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 14:00:08 +0200
To: Lucas Pardue <Lucas.Pardue@bbc.co.uk>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 11:20:38AM +0000, Lucas Pardue wrote:

> Having recently spent a bit of time reading "newer" HTTP related
> documents, there seem to be a few concepts that are growing from a
> HTTP/2 root and describe themselves as an HTTP/2 semantic, for
> example, server push or header compression.

Server push is a new semantic in HTTP. But header compression is
supposed to be internal matter of HTTP/2.

Another new concept in HTTP/2 is connection coalescing. And HTTP/2
also allows for variety of extensions containing new semantics.

> I have also been reading the HTTP/QUIC mapping again, and digesting
> it. I've come to the opinion (shared with some others) that this is
> most certainly not HTTP/2 over QUIC.

Yes. Running HTTP/2 framing layer on top of QUIC definitely does not
work. The most obvious problem is header compression not working.

> So I guess the question I have is, is there any appetite to extract
> out of HTTP/2 any common semantic that could apply to HTTP/QUIC or
> HTTP/next?

Server push, maybe?

-Ilari