From: Mark Nottingham [mnot@mnot.net]
Sent: 28 November 2017 02:03
To: HTTP Working Group
Cc: Patrick McManus
Subject: DRAFT: more details for HTTPtre

[ proposer, not Chair, hat on ]

In Singapore, it seems like there was broad acknowledgement that doing HTTPter is a good idea, but there was some concern about the schedule, especially since QUIC might depend upon or interact with it.

I think this work would go something like this:

* draft-00: Copy of RFC723X for future diffs
* draft-01: Update references, incorporate errata
* draft-02: Re-organise to put all HTTP/1.1-specific information in one draft, remaining architectural content from RFC7230 into RFC7231's draft
* draft-03: Start addressing issues, adding text about abstract model
* [further drafts as needed]

I think we can get to the draft-03 milestone above in a matter of 2-3 months, and cap ourselves at say six months beyond that.

The intent here is to end up with something like this set of documents:

a) HTTP Architecture and Core Semantics - currently parts of RFC7230, all of 7231, plus more text on abstractions
b) HTTP/1.1  - connection management, mapping to TCP transport
c) HTTP Conditional Requests
d) HTTP Range Requests
e) HTTP Caching
f) HTTP Authentication

We *can* combine (c) (d), (e), and (f) into (a), but for simplicity's sake I think we should at least start by keeping them apart.

Does this seem reasonable?

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

http://www.bbc.co.uk