Re: HTTP Payments - draft-hope-bailie-http-payments-00

On 10/30/2017 11:57 PM, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
> Hi HTTPbis,

Hello,

> I'd like a few minutes of your time in Singapore to solicit interest in
> pursuing something along the lines of what I have
> in draft-hope-bailie-http-payments-00 [1]. As you may or may not be
> aware, all major browsers are shipping, or close to shipping new payment
> APIs based on the specifications [2][3] developed in the W3C Web
> Payments working group.

I've noticed a small issue in the draft.

 > 4.1.  The "Pay" Header
 >
 >    The body of the "Pay" header is defined as follows:
 >
 > Pay: <payment-method-identifier> <amount> <address> <payment-method-data>
 >
 >    Multiple "Pay" headers MAY be present in an HTTP 402 response.

RFC7230 3.2.2 says this:

    A sender MUST NOT generate multiple header fields with the same field
    name in a message unless either the entire field value for that
    header field is defined as a comma-separated list [i.e., #(values)]
    or the header field is a well-known exception (as noted below).

    A recipient MAY combine multiple header fields with the same field
    name into one "field-name: field-value" pair, without changing the
    semantics of the message, by appending each subsequent field value to
    the combined field value in order, separated by a comma.

The only exception to that is the Set-cookie header.

The draft does not seem to say whether the Pay header is a comma
separated list of payment methods and if it's not then the generic
behavior above cannot apply. It would be great to avoid another exception.

Cheers,

--
Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu