Re: 103 (Early Hints) vs. response headers

> My .02 -
>
>> On 24 Feb 2017, at 2:27 am, Vasiliy Faronov <vfaronov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>    HTTP/1.1 103 Early Hints
>>    Link: </another-resource>; rel=preload
>>    Warning: 299 - "something is not quite right"
>>
>>    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>>    Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 16:49:43 GMT
>>    Link: </another-resource>; rel=preload
>>    Connection: close
>>
>>    ...text goes here...
>>
>> Should it log/display the warning (as applied to the 103 response), or
>> discard it (as missing from the 200 response)?
>>
>> Should the spec for 103 be more explicit about this?
>
> My reading is that "officially", the Warning is not in the response; the server thought something was wrong early in the process, but then realised it was fine.
>
> So, it MAY log/display the warning, but if it doesn't, it's still conformant.
>
> Some more examples might help.

RFC 6265 states that a user agent "MAY ignore Set-Cookie headers
contained in responses with 100-level status codes".

So to me it seems that if we state in Early Hints that the headers of
a 103 response is ones that are applied (speculatively) to the final
response but not the informational response itself, then we'd be
overriding RFC 6265.

> Cheers,
>
> --

Kazuho Oku