Re: New Version Notification for draft-kazuho-early-hints-status-code-00.txt

> On 3 Nov 2016, at 10:42, Werner Baumann <werner.baumann@onlinehome.de> wrote:
>
> Am Thu, 3 Nov 2016 09:08:02 +0000
> schrieb Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>:
>

>>> On 2 Nov 2016, at 22:50, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>>> I don't care how widely they are deployed.  Not a single client on
>>> your list existed when 1xx was invented.
>>
>> To look at your age argument for a moment, yes they did. Python’s
>> httplib was on my list, and I just downloaded Python 1.1, which was
>> released in October 1994: httplib is present in that distribution as
>> a HTTP/1.0 client implementation.
>>

> From RFC 7231:
>
>> 6.2 Informational 1xx
>> ... Since HTTP/1.0 did not define any 1xx status codes, a server MUST
>> NOT send a 1xx response to an HTTP/1.0 client.

This is not relevant. httplib has been a HTTP/1.1 client for more than a decade. The age of httplib was relevant only because Roy suggested that httplib did not exist when 1xx was invented: this is my counter-example.

> Question:
> For what kind of HTTP clients are these non conforming libraries used?
> To what kind of HTTP servers do they connect? Is any of these servers
> expected to start sending 103 responses? I would expect that at least
> none of that IoT devices will ever have to deal with 103.

Lots of them. In particular, they are frequently used for web scrapers, which will inevitably have to contend with 103 responses.

Cory