Re: New Version Notification for draft-kazuho-early-hints-status-code-00.txt

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 12:41:25 -0700
Cc: Kazuho Oku <kazuhooku@gmail.com>
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Nov 2, 2016, at 3:50 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the information.  FTR, 100 and 101 were originally defined.
> 102 was an extension.  There have been several attempts to define a 103
> for various reasons, but they were deemed close enough to 102 that they
> were not worth pursuing further.  There are also many uses of 1xx status
> codes within non-standard systems for which no registration was necessary,
> mostly for the sake of hinting at optional features or local status.

Speaking of which, I did a search and found

   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2008AprJun/0082.html

based on the use of 103 for Google Gears resumable HTTP file uploader
proposal (now lost in the bit vortex that was google code).

I think it is safe to reuse 103 (since we already reused 308), but just
something to keep in mind.  Or, feel free to skip to 104.

....Roy