Re: Proposal: Cookie Priorities

From: Francesco Chemolli <kinkie@squid-cache.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 11:09:30 +0100
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
> Regarding "Priority=High": Currently cookies are often used on the critical
> path, and these existing cookies don't have a "Priority" attribute. We can't
> define a new spec that retroactively mandates that implementers have to add
> the attribute, so I imagine we would probably want to define it so that "no
> Priority" is as high as "High Priority." (Unless we're proposing to define a
> new supe..uh..'more important' cookie.) So all the existing dead wood
> remains, and the path of least resistance for implementers who want to
> comply with the spec is: don't do anything. Thus it's not a valuable
> addition.

..why?
Cookie priorities are relative and anchored to an authority. It's up
to the UA to define pruning strategies but I doubt the implementors
would consider priority as an absolute value.
The proposal mentions "Medium" as being the default. I see no harm in it.
This said, I'm adding my voice to the chorus hoping for a new
mechanism replacing cookies to be defined.

Francesco