Subject: Re: [tcpm] FW: Call for Adoption: TCP Tuning for HTTP
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 12:25:07 -0800
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
To: Scharf, Michael (Nokia - DE) <michael.scharf@nokia.com>,
tcpm@ietf.org Extensions <tcpm@ietf.org>
CC: touch@isi.edu

On 3/2/2016 1:39 AM, Scharf, Michael (Nokia - DE) wrote:
> I assume this could be of interest to the TCPM community.

I have doubts:

- it reads like a Linux manual page

	All Linux-specific references and commands would need to be
	moved to an appendix to be useful as an RFC.

- this repeats (sometimes correctly, sometimes in error) existing advice

J. Heidemann, K. Obraczka, J. Touch, “Modeling the Performance of HTTP
Over Several Transport Protocols,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking,
V5, N5, Oct. 1997, pp.616-630.

T. Faber, J. Touch, and W. Yue, “The TIME-WAIT state in TCP and Its
Effect on Busy Servers,” in Proc. IEEE Infocom, 1999, pp. 1573-1583.

- it has significant errors

	TIME-WAIT issues apply to servers, not clients.

	Nagle has been known to perform poorly for multibyte
	interactive traffic for a very long time, including not
	only web traffic but also multi-byte character or keyboard
	signals.

	Disabling slow-start after idle is safe only with pacing.
	Without pacing, the resulting traffic can generate a burst
	that was never experienced and result in both poor performance
	for the current connection and potential impact to competing
	traffic.

(those are just a few)

Overall, I think a man page might be useful, but this summary isn't
useful for the IETF.

Joe