Re: FW: New Version Notification for draft-thomson-http2-client-certs-01.txt

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 09:02:25 +1100
To: Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>
Cc: Kazuho Oku <kazuhooku@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 29 January 2016 at 04:56, Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Do we have data on how commonly certificates are greater than 16KB in size?

I suppose that someone could check the CT log, but that is server
certs only, so it might be a poor data source for client certs.

I'm inclined to take the bloody minded approach here and wait until
someone complains.  16k is a pretty big cert.

And before someone brings up post-quantum crypto and 8M McEliece keys,
I think that public key sizes need to be much smaller than 16k if
that's going to be deployed.