Re: Using SRV records with a http Web Service

From: Glen Knowles <gknowles@ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 17:18:43 -0800
To: Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle@soundadvice.id.au>
Cc: Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@hallambaker.com>, Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In the wake of ALPN and ALT-SVC it might be worth revisiting whether SRV
records would be sufficient.

As for the latency concern, my own experience has been that SRV record
queries almost always include enough additional results in the form of A
and AAAA records to immediately start connecting. But my experience may be
unusual, especially since it's mostly within or between datacenters we
control.

A better solution for communicating non-standard ports than what we've got
would be welcome.