Re: Reviving discussion on error code 451

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> CC:ing Tim to make sure he sees this.

​I’m on your WG, but there haven’t been many recent opportunities to chip
in my usual input along the lines of “MOAR ENCRYPTION”.​
​​

> ​​
> However, the use case that seems more interesting is a Web site hosting
> content for others -- e.g., Google, Twitter, Facebook, Github -- who is
> forced to censor content. Giving them a
> ​​
> status code that communicates "I've been legally required not to send this
> content" would allow this content to be found automatically, thereby making
> censorship more apparent and
> ​​
> accountable.

​Yep, and the other one that really turns my crank is statistics-gathering
bots.  If this becomes a bit more widely used, aggregating information
about the contexts where it’s more (or less) used would be very
interesting.​  At the moment I suspect nobody has decent-quality stats
about the incidence of legal blockages - I mean civilized-process-of-law
legal blockages, not the censors working for oppressive governments, who
won’t be using 451 anyhow.
​​