Re: PUSH_PROMISE and load balancers

From: Daniel Sommermann <dcsommer@fb.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 09:23:54 -0700
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Stuart Douglas <stuart.w.douglas@gmail.com>
On 09/26/2014 12:32 AM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 26 September 2014 08:21, Stuart Douglas <stuart.w.douglas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I know there are ways to work around it, but it seems sub-optimal to need to
>> maintain two separate connection pools for push enabled vs non-push enabled
>> clients, especially when it seems to be easy to fix on a protocol level.
> It's still strictly better than HTTP/1.1.

I don't know about *strictly* better. Two connection pools is an
increase in complexity in the LB and could lead to worse performance.
You might have to pay a penalty of opening a new connection to a server
even though you have a connection ready, whereas in HTTP/1 you didn't
have to open another connection. Are we really so pressed for bits in
the flags that we can't move this there? Maybe SETTINGS is not the right
place for enabling/disabling server push.

Daniel