Re: Push and Caching

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 12:27:42 +1000
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: William Chow <wchow@mobolize.com>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 27 August 2014 09:22, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any association between a request and any server pushes it generates
> is largely incidental from the perspective of what we are talking
> about right now (caching, validity, general usability).  Each
> request-response pair can be considered completely independent in that
> regard, in fact, in virtually all respects.  Caches can and should
> treat each independently.

Which is why I think wording that relates handling of a pushed response to
the normal handling of a requested response is the way to go.   If the
validity/use/visibility of a request response can be seen beyond the scope
of the associated request, then so to can a pushed response.

We want pushed resources to be handled no differently than if the client
had requested them.  In the case of a no-cache response, the client does
handle with an associated to the current page, but if there is no
association for other responses, than saying pushed response handling is
indistinguishable from requested response handling, captures that.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>