Re: Push and Caching

On 26 August 2014 12:05, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> I would expect them to push another.  Isn't that sufficient?

It might be.  Though you have to accept that the opportunity to push
might not reappear.

>> I'm a little leery of implying something about regular response
>> validity in this context.  I couldn't find anything concrete in RFC
>> 7234 about the period over which a response can be considered valid
>> once it arrives at the client.  The best I could find was: "A cache
>> need not validate a response that merely became stale in transit."
>
> Hmm, that effectively has the same meaning as what I proposed -- a
> pushed response can be considered in-transit until it is used.

If that is the case, that's writing a blank check.  Practically
speaking, that's how people use responses anyway: they use them when
they are ready to (which is usually as quickly as possible :).  The
point being not to prevent use, but to discourage reuse.

So if you are ok with that, then I am.  I still don't think that
binding to the connection lifetime is particularly useful though.