Re: Call for Consensus: Remove "reference set" from HPACK (to address #552)

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 20:43:11 -0700
To: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
Cc: Kazu Yamamoto <kazu@iij.ad.jp>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t@gmail.com>
On Jul 14, 2014 5:51 PM, "Greg Wilkins" <gregw@intalio.com> wrote:
> Failing that, a dedicated static table bit is a good guess at a
compromise for different sized header tables:

>      0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7
>    +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
>    | 1 | S |    Index (6+)         |

The testing done thus far suggests two things: that the static table is
rarely used after an initial phase; that a six bit index is somewhat,
though not significantly, worse than a seven bit one at avoiding a need for
two byte references.

If you have good data, please share. Otherwise, I think that we need to be
a little more respectful of the work that had already been done. Yes, more
data could likely suggest an alternative course, that is always true. But
knowing when to stop second guessing, that is the trick. If you plan to
actually do thing, that is.