Re: Call for Consensus: Frame size (to address #553)

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 21:31:19 +0000
To: Erik Nygren <erik@nygren.org>
cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In message <CAKC-DJjsSHr+WRQ1r7etoYOBW63vLpCOUY9SvcqnkSNB30FuZw@mail.gmail.com>, Erik Nygren writ
es:

>Where does the 256 octet minimum come from?  That seems like an arbitrary
>value.  Is it too low?   The minimum values have ended up mattering in
>other protocols  (the IPv4 minimum bleeding over into impacting DNS, etc)
>so we should be careful not to set it too low.

It's my back-of-the-envelope calculation for minimum interop.

256 bytes is enough to do "GET /" and get a redirect back, and to
"GET /robots.txt" and get a "deny all" back.

There are plenty of non-browser web-apps which can function in 256 bytes
and therefore there is no reason for us to insist the accept larger frames.

(I'd appreciate somebody else confirm my estimate)