Re: Call for Consensus: Remove "reference set" from HPACK (to address #552)

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 09:57:51 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 04:46:36PM +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> It seems like there's broad agreement to remove the reference set from HPACK.
>
> Jeff proposed this in <https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/552> to address other issues (#549-551); while it may be that it does at least help mitigate them, we'll consider those issues separately. We can also consider further modifications (e.g., requiring :-headers to be first).
>
> Does anyone disagree with taking this first step?

I don't have experience in HPACK implementation yet, but I feel that
it could simplify the sender's job. Also, my past experience working
on our proposal 2 years ago involved a very similar "common" header
set which was hard to manage for the sender and would need to be
reset in many cases and not provide that much a gain. I have the
non-scientific feeling that it will be the same here.

So that's a very small +1 from me if that counts.

Willy