Re: Call for Consensus: Remove "reference set" from HPACK (to address #552)

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> It seems like there's broad agreement to remove the reference set from
> HPACK.
>
> Jeff proposed this in <https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/552> to
> address other issues (#549-551); while it may be that it does at least help
> mitigate them, we'll consider those issues separately. We can also consider
> further modifications (e.g., requiring :-headers to be first).
>
> Does anyone disagree with taking this first step?

​Agreed.
Reference set is tricky, especially when eviction from header table is
involved.  I believe everyone will encounter this kind of bug.  While it is
still manageable and we can get it right, we have no data to show its
advantages, and it now becomes obstacle to the resolutions for the issues
we have, so remove it.

​Best regards,
Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa​