Re: willchan's thoughts on continuations, jumbo frames, etc after *only skimming* the threads

From: Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 07:50:48 -0700
To: Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>
Cc: Rob Trace <Rob.Trace@microsoft.com>, William Chan (ι™ˆζ™Ίζ˜Œ) <willchan@chromium.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 5:32 AM, Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 2:47 AM, Rob Trace <Rob.Trace@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>>  CONTINUATION is simpler than coding for some of the failure cases for
>> existing applications.
>

> I agree that unbounded headers are a compat issue - 16 bits is going to
> break some tail somewhere. So we need a continuation like mechanism.

Not quite:  You either "need a continuations-like mechanism", or you
increase the size to something sufficient.  If a 16MB header is still to
small, bump it even higher.  It seems self-evident to me that simply
increasing the size is the simplest approach.  It's easy to explain and
easy to implement.

Mike