Re: willchan's thoughts on continuations, jumbo frames, etc after *only skimming* the threads

From: Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 08:32:29 -0400
To: Rob Trace <Rob.Trace@microsoft.com>
Cc: William Chan (ι™ˆζ™Ίζ˜Œ) <willchan@chromium.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 2:47 AM, Rob Trace <Rob.Trace@microsoft.com> wrote:

>  CONTINUATION is simpler than coding for some of the failure cases for
> existing applications.

I agree that unbounded headers are a compat issue - 16 bits is going to
break some tail somewhere. So we need a continuation like mechanism.

My first choice is to continue with h2-13 as is.

My second choice would keep continuations but address some of the other
issues
 1] make frame sizes other than 14 bits configurable by an extension
 2] get rid of the reference set based on the data, and require colon
headers to be sent first and not in continuation
 3] make hpack inside continuations stateless and allow them to multiplexed
with other frames

That does address the header hol blocker issues that current exist (though
I don't think it is much of a practical problem which is why I am fine with
proceeding without a change).