Re: Large Frame Proposal

On 8 July 2014 08:04, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you need to know the entire size of the headers before one is allowed
> to send any of it (as would be the case), then one must wait for all of the
> headers data to arrive (and mutate it) before forwarding.
> Thus, adding at a minimum: header-bytes/bandwidth seconds of latency per
> gateway (not to mention the additional memory for the buffering).

Hey this is double jeopardy!   When I've previously pointed out the problem
of DoS deadlock by sending a HEADERs and never sending the promised
CONTINUATION, the response has been that no intermediary should every
forward a HEADERs until it has the entire header block.

So it can't be argued both ways - either we come up with something that
truly allows streaming headers (ie no mutating of shared state) OR we
accept that all headers have to be buffered.

I'd expect this to add a 10th of a ms per gateway or so, more on more
> constrained links.

only for the 0.001 of traffic that has large headers.  Cry me a river!

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>