Re: Encouraging a healthy HTTP/2 ecosystem

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
wrote:

> In message <
> CAA4WUYimAsnSxGcHS4hedxrazxCJG25t4OhCiQT6ujOZ9eKVJQ@mail.gmail.com>,
> =?UTF-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBDaGF
> uICjpmYjmmbrmmIwp?= writes:
>
> >> A bad analogy is like a wet screwdriver:  TCP options are not
> >> information carrying (unless you're truly evil that is...)
> >
> >I'm confused. I don't understand why you think this is a bad analogy. What
> >information can a HTTP/2 extension carry that a TCP option can't?
>
> Pretty much any kind of contraband a filtering proxy might be
> installed to stop ?

I don't understand this statement. A TCP option can carry the same
"contraband", right?

> (Further: Very few people are able to add a new TCP option to their
> outgoing packets.  Everybody can add a new HTTP/2 extension simply
> by downloading a program, but yes, I do know about the IP-over-TCP-OPTIONS
> hack, and it is very relevant to this discussion.)

I think this is the critical distinction. You are more concerned about
extensibility within a protocol that is typically implemented in user space
(HTTP/2), as opposed to a protocol that is typically implemented in kernel
space (TCP). Is that it? If so, I think that's a reasonable distinction to
highlight.