RE: Reference set in HPACK

On Wednesday,02 July 2014 09:55, grmocg@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 12:51 AM, <K.Morgan@iaea.org> wrote:
>>> On Wednesday,02 July 2014 09:43, grmocg@gmail.com wrote:
>>> For a client which is creating a new connection, e.g. on a browser restart,
>>> it may have a great many requests to send. I often have 20 or more tabs open,
>>> for instance. In cases such as these there are a fair number of requests which
>>> will look more similar and which should be sent in the first few packets.
>>> -=R
>>
>> It doesn't matter if you have 2 tabs or 50 tabs open.  You can only look at the
>> content from 1 tab at a time.
>
> [snip]
> The requests still need to be sent, though they should be prioritized appropriately,
> and the responses to them from the server sent according to that priority.
> That prioritization is mostly orthogonal, however.
> -=R

I don't understand how the prioritization is orthogonal?  You claimed that when restarting a browser there are many requests to send which will look similar. (I agree.)  But the browser should prioritize the requests for the "open" tab first (i.e. no/little benefit from a reference set for those requests).  Of course the requests for the other tabs _might_ benefit (still theory) from a reference set*, but does it really matter what the page load time is for the N-1 tabs the user isn't interacting with?

*I think this must also assume there is a proxy, rather than the client talking directly to multiple origins?

This email message is intended only for the use of the named recipient. Information contained in this email message and its attachments may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others. Also please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.