Re: Encouraging a healthy HTTP/2 ecosystem

From: Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 14:04:16 -0700
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Cc: Johnny Graettinger <jgraettinger@chromium.org>, "William Chan (?????????)" <willchan@chromium.org>, Jason Greene <jason.greene@redhat.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
> In 1.1 it would return 502 bad gateway. In 2.0, assuming I manage to implement
> it to the server, I don't expect it to be able to multiplex multiple streams
> over a single connection before we've finished HTTP/3. I'm serious. 2.0 is a
> major architecture change for low-level intermediaries. So I'd say that for
> now, with the elements I have, a protocol error on 2.0 will be handled the
> same way as in 1.1 : the connection will be torn down and the effects will be
> exactly the same : only the request using that connection will be impacted.

What we do:

1) HPACK is configured to stream headers and discard all headers above
a certain side (see github.com/twitter/hpack decider maxHeaderSize).
2) The reverse proxy aggregates the response headers and if it they
have been truncated (because they were above the max size) it responds
with a 502.