Re: HTTP/2 response completed before its request

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 19:58:30 +0000
To: Johnny Graettinger <jgraettinger@chromium.org>
cc: William Chan (ι™ˆζ™Ίζ˜Œ) <willchan@chromium.org>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>, Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com>, Jesse Wilson <jesse@swank.ca>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In message <CAEn92ToDQtLd=sqGNx0Q8G4KMENjnPvSfGtxJJUioyG8MXh_9g@mail.gmail.com>, Johnny Graettinger writes
:

>Like TCP, HTTP/2 streams are full duplex. From the server's perspective,
>the stream was in a half-closed-local state. As in TCP, a stream in such a
>state must be consumed or reset to avoid a stall. The server had the choice
>of either, and did neither.

Sorry, but that's a rubish argument.  When the HTTP server has sent you
a 3xx, 4xx or 5xx, that is like getting a RST on a TCP stream:  The other
end told you "We're done, go away" and that's why your application does
not even get asked before the TCP stack replies with RST.

>Without knowing the application context, it's impossible to say what would
>have been sensible client behavior, but it doesn't matter here.

We know the application context:  The server closed the stream, and
well-behaved clients can only respect that and shut up ASAP.

The servers problem is that this is YADAV[1] in HTTP/2, so it needs a
heurstic to tell inept clients form malicious clients.

Poul-Henning

[1] Yet Another Dos Attack Vector