Re: WPAD ideas and considerations

Hi Amos,

I think one important problem with WPAD is that it happens in a way that is
not visible to the user and without their consent. For this reason it is
seen as opening a crack in the door for MITM attackers --
http://it-audit.sans.org/blog/2011/10/03/browser-security-man-in-the-middle-with-wpad
.

In general, one of the reasons why I think we need to tackle the problem of
discovery along with the problem of user consent model is increasingly all
interception proxies are being seen as indistinguishable from MITMs -- and
this is giving us (I work on a transparent proxy) a bad name. In order to
rectify this we should move to a model where we encourage legitimate
proxies to make their presence known both to the user and the content
server. And this requires a new UI metaphor to indicate the presence of
this proxy.

I understand this working group is not chartered to work on UI but I
believe that as part of the information draft on proxies that I believe the
group will soon be taking on we should point out use cases, describe the
problem, and point to some solutions at minimum in the hopes that the work
will be taken up by the appropriate groups afterwards.

Not trying to side track your ideas on improving WPAD but in my opinion the
increased focus on Internet Hardening decreases the likelihood that an
invisible proxy discovery protocol will be enhanced without changes to the
consent model and UI.

Thanks,

Peter