Re: "Secure" proxies for HTTP URIs [was: new version trusted-proxy20 draft]

On 2014-02-27 06:04, Peter Lepeska wrote:
> That's pretty exciting. It's a shame there's not a better proxy
> discovery
> mechanism for plaintext HTTP 1.x traffic (maybe just an additional
> response
> header PROXY-AVAILABLE-AT: https://hostname:port) because it would mean
> forward proxies could immediately provide HTTP2 benefits to their
> users,
> without having to wait for content servers to adopt HTTP2 and TLS.
>
> Peter

Which party to the transaction would send that header and how would they
determine its need to be added?
  * origin server or any reverse-proxy have no idea of forward-proxy
client-facing capabilities.
  * client is obviously not in-band with the forward-proxy yet.
  * port 80 MITM cannot be trusted that much [1].

There is no 'permanent' version of 305 status code to redirect a client
to a proxy. But that seems to be what we need. Something like 511 status
but for proxy detection instead of auth detection.

[1] IIRC one of the reasons for deprecating 305 were attackers utilizing
305 to redirect port 80 to a local proxy under their control.

Amos