Re: #535: No 1xx Status Codes

Mark,

I agree this is a duplicate and think the current wording in the spec about the Expect header and 1xx status codes is sufficient to explain how gateways must behave.

The primary reasons for using "Expect: 100-continue" for HTTP/1.1 are addressed by HTTP/2's framing and multiplexing - a Client can safely send a request and have that stream terminated early without the loss of a connection, using the same logic for POSTs to avoid sending sensitive info before authentication/upgrade (send request headers and wait a second or two for a response before continuing).

Trailers (mentioned in the linked issue) are a separate issue and are required for HTTP Digest authentication with message integrity checking, among other things.  You can't satisfy that requirement with framing and multiplexing.