Re: Stuck in a train -- reading HTTP/2 draft.

On Jun 24, 2014, at 3:01 AM, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> On 24/06/2014 7:14 p.m., David Krauss wrote:
>>
>> On 2014–06–24, at 3:08 PM, David Krauss <potswa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Also, stream initiation order is not preserved by intermediaries, so TCP’s guarantee is not strong enough.
>>
>> Oops, that’s too pathological to be possible. Still, PRIORITY has a purpose, although it might need a trial period as an extension.
>>

> More accurately middleware can potentially be load balancing a given set
> of streams over N backend servers. Any one of which at low-priority may
> respond faster than a "high" priority server. Leading to sub-optimal
> response frame ordering on the client connection regardless of request
> sent order.

Thats a good point. My mental model was focusing on execution ordering. I can see a benefit when you have data ready to ship on the response side, and ordering the frames in a particular way is helpful to the client.
--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat