Re: authenticated unencrypted

From: Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 20:25:11 -0500
To: Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>wrote:

> For example, I don't particularly need any of the CC-* content on my
> website to be encrypted (it's free for everyone to read),

The act of consuming public information requires different protection than
the information itself because it concerns both the information and the
consumer. The obvious argument is the public library - there are no secrets
in the stacks, but the transaction records of a patron's account are held
to a different standard.