Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-http2-encryption-02.txt

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:36:21 -0800
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Cc: William Chan (ι™ˆζ™Ίζ˜Œ) <willchan@chromium.org>, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>, Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@gmail.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 17 December 2013 11:22, Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> wrote:
> Demonstrate that free certificates are generally available,

I'll make my point again.  Zero dollars (or your currency of choice)
is not the same as zero friction.  It's an important part, but as long
as it requires anything other than zero effort, free is still
insufficient to move the needle in any meaningful way.

As long as I can 'apt-get install httpd' and whatever else I need to
do to get unsecured HTTP going, the effort required to get a secured
certificate had best be as close to zero in addition to that as
possible.

Yes, there are other concerns, like performance, but I haven't found
arguments around those particularly compelling from an end-user
perspective.