Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-http2-encryption-02.txt

On 12/16/2013 05:43 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 16 December 2013 04:02, Yoav Nir <synp71@live.com> wrote:
>> But how can you get an authentic redirect, if hotmail.com does not have a
>> CA-issued certificate? And if it does, why not use that rather than a
>> self-signed certificate?
>
> That was somewhat the point of the comment I think.  If you are going
> to avoid getting a good certificate, then you also avoid all the
> advantages, like resilience against active attacks like that.
>
> A self-signed certificate does allow for things that are TOFU-like,
> but not perfectly.  Things like CT help too.

But afaik CT doesn't help with self-signed or equivalent TOFU
things as it relies on the CAs to avoid the log being spammed.
If there were a way to let web sites use CT for self-signed
certs, that'd be interesting but I thought that the CT folks
didn't like that idea.

S.