Re: Non-browser uses (was Re: disabling header compression)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 22:50:20 +0100 (CET)
To: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>, Peter Lepeska <bizzbyster@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013, James M Snell wrote:

> My take away from your response is that, so far, the only benefit HTTP/2
> will have to offer RESTful API developers is improved performance in some
> scenarios and fewer bits sent over the wire on average.

What about the convenience of running only HTTP/2 on your server and not have
to manage legacy HTTP as well? I'd call that a benefit. Or possitive side-
effect.

And I think better performance for your use case is a reason enough to use a
protocol, even if that's not a browser.

> My question is: is that going to be enough to warrant broad adoption among
> that group of developers?

I'm absolutely convinced that none of us here can KNOW the answer to that.
With a solid protocol spec there will be HTTP/2 implementations written. If
they are good enough and there are perceived benefits in using them, then the
developers will use them.

I have such users in the curl community. I want to and plan to offer this
ability to them.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se