Re: Explicit proxy options and defaults

On 12/07/2013 11:33 PM, Yoav Nir wrote:
> Hi, Stephen
>
> The choice between (2) and (3) is with the proxy.

Maybe I wasn't being clear. Let me try again:

If there is a reasonable (2) then I'm asking that both (2) and
(3) be supported but for (3) to be the default.

The explicit proxy should be just one of the players who
can say no in this game.

> How it communicates
> that choice to the client is up to the group, but in any case doesn't
> seem to matter much security-wise. Adding authentication and encryption
> to the connection to the proxy regardless of whether it decrypts or not
> is also a good thing.
>
> Having the proxy choose (2) should not be seen as an alternative to (3).
> (3) doesn't allow the proxy to do anything except maybe domain name
> filtering.

Precisely. And that (3) is the currently specified semantics for
https via a proxy so needs to be the default.

(2) is the new thing that you want to introduce where the proxy
gets to decrypt.

> So (2) is an alternative to the MitM proxies that require
> installing a CA certificate and signing phony certificates. Killing off
> those practices is a win IMO.

Yes, one can argue that introducing (2) might help kill off the
alternative of MITMing TLS. But equally doing away with (3) which
we have now means weakening https:// URI security in a real sense.

S.