2817 for TLS (was Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-09)

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 17:46:16 -0800
To: James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi Jim,

On 4 December 2013 16:40, James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> wrote:
> It would be useful for §3.2 (Starting HTTP/2.0 for “http” URIs) also to
> include an example of combining HTTP/1.1 → HTTP/2.0 upgrade with rfc 2817
> style cleartext → TLS upgrade.  Without, that is, relying on ALPN after
> the 2817 upgrade to get to HTTP/2.0.

That presupposes a number of things that are still under discussion.
Using 2817 to upgrade to TLS is one of many options that has been
proposed, though whether HTTP/2.0 appears in the Upgrade header or in
ALPN is very much undecided, particularly since we are discussing
Alt-Svc, Alternate-Protocol, and other options at the same time.

Please do join the discussion if you have a preference.  I can't in
good conscience add an example at this point.