Re: What will incentivize deployment of explicit proxies?

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM, William Chan (陈智昌) <willchan@chromium.org>wrote:

> OK, it sounds like people are retreating back from the
> autoconfiguration+interstitial part of an explicit proxy proposal...except
> maybe Nicholas? I'd love to hear more thoughts on
> autoconfiguration+interstitial. It sounds like the prevailing sentiment is
> it's unacceptable from a security UX perspective.
>
> And now we're back to one-time setup operations. And in contrast to MITM
> proxies, we see an opportunity to improve on the UX here, since installing
> a root cert sucks. It seems like all browsers here rely on the system for
> proxy configuration (Pat corrected me earlier on that), so this will tie us
> to OS versions if we pursue this path. So if the OS vendors do not improve
> the UX for installing MITM proxies, and instead focus energies on creating
> a better explicit proxy configuration UX, then maybe that'll encourage
> proxy operators to deploy more explicit proxies.
>
> That's probably most of the proxy incentives there.

I'm not sure that this is the case.  One nice thing about explicit proxies
is that they do not need to be on-path, where interception proxies do.  You
could imagine someone creating a business that puts the explicit proxies
into a data center and selling that as a service.  One of the issues with
interception proxies is that you must cause the traffic to traverse the
network segments where the interception takes place.  Being able to avoid
that would be a big incentive, if the web ecosystem supported it.

Ted