Re: Call for Proposals re: #314 HTTP2 and http:// URIs on the "open" internet

From: Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:38:23 -0500
Cc: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Piotr Galecki <piotr_galecki@affirmednetworks.com>
Piotr,

On Nov 20, 2013, at 11:36 AM, Piotr Galecki <piotr_galecki@affirmednetworks.com> wrote:
> I've been following this very interesting discussion as an observer.
> We all agree that since HTTP/2.0 message formats are not backwards compatible with HTTP/1.x
> the proxies processing HTTP/2.0 requests will cause problems and break end-to-end HTTP/2.0.

I think “we all agree” is a prevailing assumption, but given my experience with HTTP Upgrade to TLS for CUPS I don’t think all hope is lost.

Instead of assuming that it won’t work because WebSockets failed, I am now trying to collect real information and do some testing to see what exactly doesn’t work and why.  If we can find a path that allows clients to upgrade successfully or detect when it won’t work then we will have both the reliability needed to deploy it AND the information needed to document the failure modes for the spec.