Re: A proposal

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 22:44:39 +1100
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Yoav Nir <synp71@live.com>

On 18 Nov 2013, at 10:18 pm, Yoav Nir <synp71@live.com> wrote:

> I think HTTP is used for so many things in so many scenarios, that trying to give general guidance in the base spec is asking for trouble (example: when checking certificate revocation, you use HTTP to download either a CRL or an OCSP response. You can't use authenticated TLS there).

Again, we’re taking about the case of a browser on the “open” Web — the many special cases don’t apply here.

> So I see one additional path forward:
>
> * Say nothing in the base spec, but create an additional document targeted for Informational, and called "Recommendations for using HTTP/2 on the web". Even if that document becomes a tar-pit of political discussion, it will allow the base spec to go forward on time.

I had been assuming we’d talk about how to package it down the road, and a “HTTP/2.0 for Browsers” document would be one option. If it makes this discussion easier, assume that we’ll have a separate doc.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/