Re: p6: maximum delta-seconds of 2147483648

On Nov 14, 2013, at 11:20 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 2013-11-14 22:26, Willy Tarreau wrote:
>> Hi Julian,

>>> Proposed patch:
>>> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/512/512.diff>
>>
>>  "A recipient parsing a delta-seconds value ought to use an arithmetic type
>>   of at least 32 bits of signed integer range."
>>                          ^^^^^^
>> You meant unsigned, right ? Because the value 2147483648 requires at least
>> 32 bits unsigned or 33 bits signed, but 32 bits signed never satisfies this
>> requirement.
>
> The proposed text is:
>
>>   A recipient parsing a delta-seconds value ought to use an
>>   arithmetic type of at least 32 bits of signed integer range.
>
> That is consistent with the previous requirement of "MUST use an arithmetic type of at least 31 bits of range", no?

Yes, but I feel for Willy's desire to get rid of the apparent
contradiction altogether ... but not that much.

I suggest we use the original 31 bits of range, remind folks that
it is unsigned, and explain that the 2147483648 can be used as a
canned numeric string on overflow even if they happen to be forced
to use a signed 32bit storage.  *sigh*

....Roy