Re: Moving forward on improving HTTP's security

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 21:31:20 +0100
To: "William Chan (?????????)" <willchan@chromium.org>
Cc: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>, Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Rob Trace <Rob.Trace@microsoft.com>, Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>, Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com>, Tao Effect <contact@taoeffect.com>, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:05:11AM -0800, William Chan (?????????) wrote:
> Just to be clear, I'm a browser vendor speaking here, representing my own
> personal views, but those generally align with the Chromium project. And
> no, we don't have plans to support HTTP/2.0 in the clear. Firefox
> developers like Pat have said similar things. So you're simply factually
> wrong in your assertion about browsers.

Which basically means that the choice of protocols used over the internet
for many things among which browsing will be dictated by two browser teams.

That's a dangerous game to play. It reminds me the old era of "this site was
designed for MSIE4, if it doesn't display correctly, upgrade your browser".

That position doesn't solve the expected raise of the now common issue of
"This connection is untrusted... What Should I Do ? ... I understand the
Risks / Add Exception."

Willy