Re: Moving forward on improving HTTP's security

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:31:07 +0000
To: "Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net>
cc: (wrong string) ™ˆ™˜Œ)" <willchan@chromium.org>, "Adrien de Croy" <adrien@qbik.com>, "Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, "Willy Tarreau" <w@1wt.eu>, "Mike Belshe" <mike@belshe.com>, "Tao Effect" <contact@taoeffect.com>, "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>, "James M Snell" <jasnell@gmail.com>, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>, "HTTP Working Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In message <1b327a17d9e12ce91cc536b4cbdb8586.squirrel@arekh.dyndns.org>, "Nicol
as Mailhot" writes:

>You won't force enterprises not to MITM without giving them alternatives
>to monitor their traffic, [...]

Not to mention enterprises who are mandated by law to do so:

Jails, Libraries, Schools, Mental Institutions are all subject to
such restrictions one place or another on the plant.

We may think that these laws are wrong, but this forum is not
in a position to change them.

And if we make a protocol that must be broken open to comply with The
Law, it will be broken open, even if that compromises everybodys
privacy, globally.