Re: Moving forward on improving HTTP's security

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 08:39:23 +0000
To: Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com>
cc: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>, Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Rob Trace <Rob.Trace@microsoft.com>, Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>, Tao Effect <contact@taoeffect.com>, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In message <CABaLYCsL5kHPETW2OC7ZyTm_s7rCJYoJaFChSc5kAsi-PWJN3A@mail.gmail.com>
, Mike Belshe writes:

>I agree, TLS is too hard to use today.  We need more tools and simpler
>processes.

And this is one of (many) reasons why I think HTTP/2.0 should be
defined as a protocol to run on a transparent byte-pipe.

That would give us a neatly layered situation, where the mapping
from "http:", "https:", "httpng:", and even "httpNSAsucks:" to
how the byte-pipe is constructed is decoupled from what we move
through the byte-pipe once it is constructed.